fedora 7

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:16:02 UTC 2007

On 8/11/07, Jerome Kan <whiz999 at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hey for about a week and a half now ive been trying to fix this rather
> bothersome issue with windows, fedora 7, and my keyboard. I was having some
> issues installing fedora 7 earlier and now it has just bubbled into a larger
> problem. Ultimately my goal is to have a dual boot computer with windows and
> fedora 7 both installed and working in a situation where each is designated
> 60 gb of space and the remainder is just storage. Now initially I attempted
> to simply install fedora 7 on one of the other drives; however, this didn't
> work, still not sure exactly why. So wanting to install both on a specific
> drive I updated the bios and changed the primary boot drive. After this I
> wiped everything and tried to reinstall windows which went alright until the
> point where I had to create user accounts here my keyboard simply stopped
> working. It works everywhere else including but not limited to the bios,
> safemode, and dos. It does not work in regular windows when trying to log
> in, or when installing fedora 7. When I boot up with nothing installed it
> attempts to boot from the cd drive then says "GRUB". Any help at all would
> really be appreciated.
>
> P.s. ive tried other working keyboards and its not the keyboard. In addition
> im using a generic $5 keyboard that uses a ps/2 connection.
> p.s.s. im linux illiterate, (I was attempting to make the transition to
> linux)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jerome
>
> Sincerely,
> Jerome

Without knowing the size of your hard drives it is hard to give you an
optimal solution.  However, here is a quick fix:

1. In the BIOS restore the boot order of the drives so that the
primary drive is selected before the secondary drive.
2. Primary drive.
   a. Create a 60 GB primary partition.
   b. Install Windows into that partition.
   c. (Optional) Create a swap partition. Size it to approximately 2
times the amount of RAM.
   d. Create an extended partition using the remaining free space.
   e. Create 1 or more logical partition inside the extended
partition. Format the logical partitions as FAT32.

3. Secondary drive - Linux/Fedora

If you want a one drive solution, omit the second logical partition
created on the primary drive. Install Fedora or any Linux OS into that
space.

I recommend placing Fedora at the end because this makes the
partitioning/numbering is simpler to debug.

Hope this helps.