F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 12 03:20:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 11 August 2007, Tim wrote:
>On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 16:46 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> I installed two new SLA batteries two days ago and judging from the
>> voltage across the terminals it was charging.  I would have to remove
>> the case to measure battery voltage which ought to be near 27 volts by
>> this time I would think.
>
>My preference for checking that batteries are charging is measuring the
>current going to them, rather than voltage.  But that's not always
>practical, heavy charge can be quite a few amps, and it may drop down to
>just a few milliamps when (almost) done.  That's quite a range to cover
>with just one meter.

In some cases, just a few milliamps can still be excessive Tim.  I recall
years ago when I was doing the KXNE-TV transmitter site for Nebraska ETV, the
batteries that started the Cummins 335 powered standby generator required
replacement, so I went to Norfolk and picked up a pair of 225AH 12 volt
batteries like you see in the average truck tractor.  They came dry and I had
to wet them, and charge them.  My personal criteria, and its worked very well
for 55 some years for me, is that a lead-acid battery is fully charged when
it begins to outgas.

We had a 'trickle charger' for them that was actually a 10 amp model.  I wound
up with a 12,000 ohm 2 watt as the trickle limiter before those batteries
quit gassing.  Going by the SG & holding it at around 1.265, 6 years later
I'd added water once & not much then, a pint or less for all 12 cells.  6
years later, and given that there was a block heater on it, it was still only
a half a second of cranking maximum cuz that puppy fired on the first
cylinder to come to tdc even in 20 below weather.   Bigger incandescent lamps
never went fully dark on a power failure.  That was 1977 when I left, and if
my successor has cared for those batteries as well as I did, those same
batteries may well still be sitting there ready to turn that Cummins wrong
side out or start it, which being entirely up to the Cummins.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)