Producing pdf files with copyable text

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 18:13:05 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> >> In the past, I've had mixed results.  I don't recall all the ins and
> >> outs, but the content created, and what applications I used, had an
> >> effect.
> >>
> >> Did you try creating a document with the ordinary fonts used in PDF
> >> files (Times, etc.), or ones that it'll have to embed or pre-render?
> >
> >I just print to a file as ps and then I use ps2pdf. I have just tried
> >this method with a OOo document written with Times New Roman, but
> >again the resulting pdf is bitmapped. The problem maybe located in the
> >way Linux produces the ps file and not in ps2pdf.
> >
> >> And what programs have you tried to print a PDF file with?
> >
> >Firefox and Opera.
>
> >From what has been said recently in the thread, it seems likely that the
> fonts you use are the issue, in that the font either has to be so standard
> that it is assumed always available, or it must be embedded if allowed, or
> the pdf must be bitmapped where that font is used.  Possibly the output of
> pdffonts will tell you what is going on.  By default, ps2pdf won't embed
> the "14 standard fonts" (Courier, Helvetica, Times, Symbol, ZapfDingbats)
> -- see /user/share/doc/ghostscript*/Ps2pdf.htm.

Thanks, Nelson. The output of pdffonts in the case of the file that I
have just sent is

$ pdffonts teste1.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
YBWBJD+DejaVu_Serif.Book.0.0.34174.0.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes no      17  0
WFRXYX+Times_New_Roman.Regular.0.0.50aac.e036.Set0 Type 1C      yes
yes no       9  0
BIABFC+Times_New_Roman.Bold.0.0.5184c.0.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes no      13  0
PGUGBG+DejaVu_Sans.Book.0.0.7ec48.0.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes no      11  0
XGQFDG+Courier.Regular.0.0.1ec70.42f7.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes no      15  0
$

Paul