x86_64 with duplicate packages

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Aug 12 21:56:07 UTC 2007

Martin Marques writes:

> Hi, I have a Compaq Presario with a AMD Trion64 and I noticed that lots
> of packages get installed in two distinct versions: one for 64bit and
> another for 32bit system.
>
> So I have things like this:
>
> # rpm -qa kdeutils
> kdeutils-3.5.6-3.fc7.x86_64
> kdeutils-3.5.6-3.fc7.i386
>
> Is it a bad idea to remove the 32bit package?

No, but due to a bug in rpm, removing the 32bit package will also nuke the
man pages and the locale files that are installed by the x86_64 package.

This is not the end of the world, and is easily fixable. After removing each
.i386 rpm, you'll need to run rpm -U --replacepkgs on the x86_64 rpm.
Lather, rinse, repeat, for each .i386 interloper. Pain in the neck.