Internet slow down related to the firewall

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 12 22:21:19 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 00:56 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Well, I'll be darned.  That did it that time.  I'm now getting
>
> 1311Kb download and 403Kb upload.  Not great but beats the heck out of
> 30k.
>
>   I'll have to research this some more, now.  I still can't believe how
> that could set the speed down to 3Kbs down and next to nothing up.
>
> The peer2peer is for VR stuff (Croquet and SecondLife), and is needed to
> affect anything like reasonable operation.
Unfortunately, I don't know why the iptables firewall causes the slow
downs - perhaps if you tried just one or other of ipv6 or MTU, that will
narrow it down. Actually, it might be ipv6 - when you stop iptables,
were you doing service iptables stop, or using the iptables command
manually ? What I mean to ask is do you also stop ip6tables ?

I wouldn't have expected such a large change. However, there is a lot of
limited memory adsl/routers out there. If they fill their limited {eg
500 connection} session table {stateful packet inspection}, then further
connections will be a problem. My old D-link was like this if a I ran
p2p for more than an hour or two. Rebooting the modem/router helped, but
causing my ISP to allocate a new IP address also worked.

DaveT.