Bandwidth Usage Monitor

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 13 11:41:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 16:54 +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Both MRTG and Cacti I am aware off and in my case they would be an
> overkill. I just need to keep track of how much of my monthly GPRS
> traffic quota has been utilised so that I can keep my phone bill
> sane.

You could probably put a script in that's run as the connection goes
down, to copy *some* of the data provided by /sbin/ifconfig to a log
file, then do something else to tally it up on a certain date.

I do remember looking for call cost monitors years ago, and finding
quite a few, but I don't have that issue to worry about, anymore.
Somone else might be able to point out other search query terms that are
likely to help you find ready made software.

Maybe there's a way to have the daily logwatch mail include a section
covering the traffic.  I'm sure it'd be possible.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.