New Hard Drive

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Mon Aug 13 21:35:12 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> John Wendel wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>    I discovered I can buy a new IDE 160 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
>>> for $83.00 plus shipping. I would like to replace this old 160 GB
>>> with a new one. What method would you suggest for putting all the
>>> stuff on the old hard drive on this new one? It seems that dd could
>>> do it but I wonder how fast it would be?
>>>
>>>    Any experience will be appreciated.
>>>

>> Do a little more shopping at newegg.com and save a few bucks
>>
>> Seagate 250 GB  $69 + free shipping
>> Hitachi 250 GB  $59 + free shipping
>>

>    Sorry I have had real luck with Western Digital and only want that.

Nothing wrong with WD, just don't pay too much.

Newegg.com

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JB 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100
Hard Drive - OEM  $59.99 + 5.29 shipping

The 160GB WD is only $48.49 + 5.29 shipping.

WD has a 3 year warranty - Seagate has 5 years (accounts for the $10
price difference).

Regards,

John