Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Aug 13 21:46:48 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:43:29 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>

>> Define "just works,"
>>

> Just what it says.  Plug it in and it starts working.
>

>> what is your firmware line in snapscan.conf?
>>

> There is none.  No firmware upload is required for this scanner.
>
> The relevant line in snapscan.conf is this:
>
> # Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
> # firmware upload is needed by the scanner
> firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin
>
> Notice that it hasn't changed from the default as-installed snapscan.conf.
>

>> This
>> would just work if I could get xsane to stop trying to improve it and
>> use it as is. Do you have/use a firmware update, and if not how did you
>> ask it not to try to do one?
>>

> The issue never came up.  I plugged in the scanner, loaded xsane, and started
> scanning stuff.  That's really all there was to it.

Bizarre, it tells me it can't find a file named
/usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin and to edit the file.
With both FC6 and FC7. I assume you have no such file. I'm sure there's
some undocumented diddle which tells xsane and scanimage not to try to
load any firmware, but there's a limit to how much time it's worth to
find it.

Thanks for the info, if no one has a better idea of why this fails I
will NOT be buying a 4th scanner, I'm just going to write it off as not
ready for prime time and use another O/S.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>