Problem mounting a disk over USB

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 13 22:44:13 UTC 2007

> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error
> -71

I believe these are timeouts... I doubt there is any problem with your
HDD, but there can be a problem between the kernel and your USB host
controller or your cable.  Once I had a problem like this that was to do
with interrupt routing, I turned off acpi (acpi=off) and forced bios
interrupt routing (pci=biosirq) and stuff started working again.

I would also try backing down a kernel version or two if possible,
especially if USB had been working before.

-Andy