fedora 7 - legacy USB?

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 14 03:08:53 UTC 2007

On Mon August 13 2007, Jim Cornette wrote:
> USB legacy simulates PS/2 functionality for outdated operating systems
> like MS-DOS. USB keyboards would not otherwise work in that OS
> otherwise. USB legacy, is not needed for more advanced OS versions.
> Having it enabled could cause erratic behavior or blocking the proper
> functionality of real PS/2 devices.

I don't know Jim. I don't doubt you may have experienced what you describe,
but extrapolating one instance to a generalization may be too big a leap. I
deal with a whole software firm's PC's; we have many machines of varying
vintages, and I've never experienced what you describe...

> USB mice usually do not need legacy
> support in advanced OS versions because they do not rely on the BIOS
> needing tricks to transmit to the operating system the USB device as a
> simulated PS/2 device. Some systems use different terminologies
> depending on the BIOS.

I would say my experience corrolates with the above

> Look around in your BIOS settings and see if you can find a USB legacy
> or a setting with similar wording in BIOS.
>
> > I'm thinking of buying a usb keyboard just to see if that helps heh.
>
> It might do the trick or just cost you money needlessly. If you are
> comfortable with changing BIOS settings, give it a try beforehand.
> Otherwise, the USB keyboard option would be a less risky chance.

Certainly won't hurt to try. Something is not making sense. I think Tim is
right to suspect hardware issues -- Jerome, did you hot plug that PS2
keyboard of yours? Can you borrow another keyboard from somewhere before
investing more money?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA