one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 14 11:39:11 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   at the risk of belabouring this issue (and i'm sure it's way too
> late to be worried about that *now* :-), i'm still interested in
> whether there's a known, reliable and deterministic way to get
> wireless working on f7 (and, additionally, f8t1) on my laptop which
> has a broadcom 4318 chip.

>   seriously, if wireless is really this much of a hassle, fedora is in
> for a rough ride.

It isn't "wireless" that is the problem,
it is your particular wireless card.
Many people (including me) using wireless all the time with Fedora-7,
without meeting any problems.

If I had your problem, I would
(a) get a PCMCIA WiFi card for temporary use,
(b) ask if there is anyone successfully using your particular card
with Fedora-7, and
(c) if you find someone ask them privately exactly what their setup is.

Incidentally, I've said before and people have strongly disagreed with me,
but if you have WiFi problems I think it is best to turn of NetworkManager,
if you are running it, as it simply makes it more difficult
to diagnose the problem.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366