New Hard Drive

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Tue Aug 14 17:16:52 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 17:17 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Now how to put this f7 on the new HD :-(    I have had no help at
>> all
>
> Patience!  You've been discussing the other half of your thread, don't
> expect instant answers on everything.  You can, of course, Google this,
> and find answers already provided.  The topic is not new.
>
>> so I will do it as I have in the past. I use cp=copy and the
>> switches -av >> file and that allows me to just let the copy happen
>> and when over read file and see what happened 8-)
>
> If you do a "cp" copy, be sure to copy contexts, permissions, and
> ownership.  Also, don't copy things that aren't really files (stuff
> like /proc is generated at boot time).  A simple answer to that is to
> not do this from a drive that's running the system, and simply copy the
> files from the drive separately (e.g. boot from a CD/DVD).  After doing
> so, check things like the /tmp space has proper permissions, or you
> won't be able to log in.
>
> [tim at gonzales ~]$ ls -ld /tmp/
> drwxrwxrwt 14 root root 4096 Aug 14 11:02 /tmp/
>
> (That "t" permission flag is important.)
>
> You can "dd" copy a drive, though you have to think about how you want
> to handle things if the drives are different sizes.  I'm not going to
> advise on this, I'll let someone else who's used that method go over
> that.
>
> You can use tools designed for backing up or moving drives.  Many hard
> drive manufacturers provide free ones, that you make a boot disc with
> their program on, and use it to transfer things over.  They'll guide you
> through picking the right drives and partitions.  But again, doing this
> between drives with different sizes may be a problem.
>
> You can do a fresh install on the new drive, boot it up, then copy
> personal files from the old drive /home/ to the new one.

Take a look at...
http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux-mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html
for instructions on how to implement all necessary changes to transfer
your system from old disk to new one.
HTH,
* Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
* Child Neurologist                          *
* Systems Analyst/ASUS Certified Professional*
* Rio de Janeiro, Brazil                     *
* Skype: carlos-aa                           *
* mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
* mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *