how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Aug 14 18:00:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 09:30 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> So, i decided to force the issue by teling the BIOS to boot from the USB HDD and nothing else. But I get the following:
>
> Cannot boot from any device
>
> Current boot order and device status
>
> 1: USB HDD: Model SanDisk Cruzer Micro -> No valid operating system.
>
> Attached is what file diskboot.img provides. What is going wrong here?

How did you put the diskboot.img on the FLASH?  Via DOS, Windows or
Linux?

Under DOS or Windows, you need a utility called "rawrite".  Assuming the
FLASH is drive E: and the CD/DVD is drive D:, you'd use:

	rawrite d:\images\diskboot.img e:

If you're using Linux, first see if the FLASH drive got mounted.  If it
did, take note of what device it is and unmount any filesystem on it.
You will be writing the diskboot image to the raw device, NOT to any
partition on it.  This is the most common problem people have with
this.

Assuming the FLASH is /dev/sdb and the ISO is mounted at /media/cdrom,
then:

	dd if=/media/cdrom/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512

Note the "of=/dev/sdb".  You MUST write to the raw device (/dev/sdb),
NOT to the first partition (/dev/sdb1).

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -