fedora 7 - legacy USB?

Jerome Kan whiz999 at rogers.com
Tue Aug 14 19:09:12 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Mikkel L. Ellertson
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:52 PM
To: For users of Fedora
Subject: Re: fedora 7 - legacy USB?

> Thus far ive tried 4 different keyboards that all work on other
> computers and are all ps/2 and every time I end up with the same
> result. As for hot-plugging I have; however it was rebooted several
> times with each keyboard testing different BIOS settings that had to do
with the keyboard.
> So unless hot-plugging can cause physical damage to the keyboard that
> should be a nonissue.

The problem is that hotplugging a PS/2 keyboard can cause physical damage.
You have to remember that you are dealing with TTL level signals, usually
without any buffer between the keyboard connector and the keyboard
controller. While it doesn't happen that often, you can damage the keyboard
controller in the computer by hotplugging a keyboard. This is usually
because of static damage, but it can be because you short pins...

One of my favorate warning on this is "Because PS/2 hotplug is not in the
PS/2 specification, some PS/2 controllers may not correctly handle
"hotplugging" of a device, and some may short out devices."

Mikkel
--

But if it was a hardware problem the keyboard shouldn't work anywhere;
however the keyboard still works perfectly in the bios and in windows