fedora 7 - legacy USB?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 14 20:03:31 UTC 2007

Jerome Kan wrote:

> But if it was a hardware problem the keyboard shouldn't work anywhere;
> however the keyboard still works perfectly in the bios and in windows
> safemode. It only fails when attempting to install fedora or after windows
> (normal boot) has booted up. In addition to this I have tested several other
> keyboards, all of which were tested on other computers in working order to
> ensure that they themselves were in working order.
> -Jerome

No - if the problem is in the keyboard controller, then the problem
is on the motherboard, and not the keyboard. The keyboard will work
fine on other computers, because the keyboard itself works fine. But
you will get the same symptoms with any keyboard you use on this
computer.

The keyboard controller is a chip on your motherboard that handles
communication between the computer and the keyboard. It used to be a
discrete chip, and would sometimes be included in a BIOS update chip
set. I would suspect that is is part of a multi-function chip on
most new motherboards.

It may be a BIOS problem, but it may also be a hardware problem
where the keyboard controller only works in some modes, and not
others. The fact that is affects both Windows and Linux is a good
indication that it is not an OS problem.

About the only other thing I can think of is if, as others have
said, you have the keyboard plugged into the PS/2 mouse port instead
of the PS/2 keyboard port. Depending on the chip used, and the BIOS,
it may work when accessing the keyboard using BIOS routines, but
fail when the OS uses its own driver.

Mikkel