Raid one

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Aug 14 23:37:33 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I did a Goggle search and found Linux Journal, Home, RAID-1, Part
>> 1 and 2 by Joe Malmin and Ron Shaker, 2002-08-13 and I have read it
>> like a book once. It talks to the raid-1 being a superior way to back
>> up your computer. I learned that raid mirrors partitions not hard
>> drives. You can use any two hard drives or even the same hard drive!
>> I plan to make a raid 1 using the two hard drives I have in this
>> computer right now :-)
>>
>>    One is a 30 GB and this is a 160 GB but f7 is in a partition of 12
>> GB. So I can make a 12 GB partition on the 30 GB HD and make a raid 1
>> system between /dev/hda2 and /dev/hdb5.
>
> It will help your sanity later if you stick to identical disks.
>
>>    The book says if /proc/mdstat exists, you have raid support in
>> your kernel. I do :-)
>>
>>    The book set up raid 1 on Red Hat 7 and Debian Potato with the
>> early kernels 8-)
>
>>    It appears I can use the method shown to make a /usr raid 1. I
>> have /usr backed up on my 9 GB USB device. But the author suggests
>> you put a copy of /usr on /var/.  We will use mkraid  which  I find I
>> do not have. Perhaps I can yum it to my system. Perhaps there is a
>> newer tool?
>
> That's outdated.  You don't need anything but the mdadm program - and
> don't follow anything that talks about raidtab.
>
>>     So like all writing it is dated and old just a couple of years
>> later. Instaed of using #init 1 so that /usr can be un-mounted, I
>> think using the rescue mode of the f7 dvd will be easier. Then f7
>> will be off :-)
>
> It would probably be faster if you can copy everything you want to
> save somewhere else and build the raid during the install, but if you
> want to work at it, you can probably build 'broken' raid partitions on
> your new drive by specifying one of the devices as missing, copy
> everything over, adjust fstab and grub.conf to refer to the new md
> devices, install grub,
> and then swap drive positions.  Once everything is working, you can
> add the old drive into the raid and let it sync.

Hi Les, I printed this email for later reading :-)

    I am beginning to wonder if raid-1 is what I need. I turn this
computer off every night. It is not needed by anyone but me. And some
days I wonder how long I will want it :-(

    So having it running 24/7 is not important.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User