firefox message is it an error or not

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 15 00:25:30 UTC 2007

Frank Cox writes:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:52:22 -0400
> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
>> Someone probably already filed this, in Bugzilla.
>
> Why would you consider this to be a bug?  It's a feature -- if Firefox exits
> for reasons other than that you closed it, it offers to restore the last
> session.

I intentionally opened Fedora menu, then selected "logoff" or
"shutdown". I did not crash, and no error condition, of any kind, has
occured. It was a normal, ordinary logoff/shutdown.

I would certainly consider it a bug, if a normal, ordinary logout/shutdown
procedure results in Firefox thinking that it actually crashed. Do you
actually expect the user to go through and manually close each application,
before going back to the Fedora menu, and logging off? Is this a reasonable
expectation, or would you expect all running applications to gracefully
terminate, when you instruct the desktop to log off, shut down, or reboot
the computer?

I'm sure that this does not happen in Windows. Windows applications receive
a message upon Windows shutdown, and the application has the opportunity to
terminate gracefully. In fact, when you logout/shutdown in Windows, if an
application ignores the windows termination message, windows will refuse to
shut down until you explicitly/implicitly kill the app.

Apparently, there is no equivalent in X-Windows. When an X server
terminates, it just tears down all client connections, apparently. From an
application's point of view there may not actually be a way to detect if the
X connection went away because of a server crash, or the user logging off.

Still, from the useability standpoint, this is a bug.