how to get a specfile from an RPM

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Aug 15 09:07:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 04:59:15PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> I don't think the quotes are needed, although they couldn't hurt.  The *spec
> is a parameter to cpio telling it what files to extract so I don't think
> having another .spec in your directory will hurt.  In fact, I tried it both
> quoted and unquoted with another spec file in my current directory and the
> results are the same.  Care to share your concern?

They are needed, as wildcards are interpreted by the shell, not by the
program (unlike in DOS (and Windows?), where wildcards were interpreted
by the program, not by the interpreter.

Go to a directory without spec files, do a "touch dummy.spec", then do
the command and see what happens ;-).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>