status of fixes for yum-updatesd. Any News?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:40:50 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I am disappointed to say that the yum-updatesd still does not update
> > anything.  Who does it work for?
> >
> Did you edit /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf and change "do_update = no"
> to "do_update = yes"?
>

> > I can run yum manually and it does see updates.  However, the
> > yum-updatesd daemon does not appear to find the updates, or it does
> > not find them.  Then it locks up the yum process, as in:
> >
> > # yum update
> > Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2862. Aborting.
> >
> I think the problem may be in your setup. The default setup does not
> automatically install updates. From the man page:
>
> yum-updatesd  provides notification of updates which are available
> to be applied to your system. This notification can be done either
> via syslog, email or over dbus. Configuration is done via the
> yum-updatesd.conf(5) file.

In the original post, I gave my config, which IS set to auto update.

[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = syslog

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

> One way to use it is to have a client running on the desktop that
> pops up and tells you about updates. You then have the option of
> installing them. One program that does this is puplet. (I believe
> Gnome normally starts this when you log in.)

Not acceptable when managing many computers