GRUB trouble

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 01:26:28 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have the Asus M2n32-SLI Deluxe board with 2x SATA as RAID1 on the
> FakeRAID nVidia SATA controller. F7_64 installed fine and booted fine,
> but then I decided to add updates and a good load of applications to the
> system. After that the boot hangs at the grub> prompt and that is
> basically the point where I need some help.
>
> Other information in bullet points:
> - GRUB installed on MBR of FakeRAID
> - worked fine several times
> - dual boot with XP64
> - have a Promise IDE controller with 2 PATA drives present
> - the F7 install is on the second parition of the mirror raid
>
> I did try install and setup at the grub prompt, but I have no idea how
> the INSTALL_DEVICE is called as it is to be the FakeRAID, which was
> named nvidia_andthensomething.
> I can boot from the install DVD and get the live system, but when I opt
> to repair the existing installation I am always told that GRUB will not
> be reinstalled, because I did not install any new kernel modules. THAT
> is the biggest disappointment. I can live for now with the annoyance to
> potentially have to fix GRUB after installing updates/apps, but I don't
> even get really a chance....or better to say, I don't know how.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
>     David

I found this via google for Gentoo. I am not sure if it will work but
fits your description of cryptic entries.
Search paremeters:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fakeraid+and+installing+grub&btnG=Google+Search

grub> device (hd0,0) /dev/mapper/nvidia_abiccada1
grub> device (hd0) /dev/mapper/nvidia_abiccada
grub> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p
(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"...succeeded
Done.
grub> quit

Good luck.
Jim