installing FC7 via PXE Server on FC6: TFTP keeps Timing out ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 16 02:45:28 UTC 2007

Ferindo Middleton wrote:
> I'm using the "Setting Up a PXE Server" in Appendix B. of the FC7
> Installation guide:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/ap-pxe-server.html
> <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/ap-pxe-server.html>
>
> I've never done this before and can't figure out why I keep getting the
> message: "TFTP Open Timeout"... The computer being installed to appears
> to be getting an IP from the dhcpd server but I guess something's wrong
> with the tftp server .... I followed the instructions above exactly but
> the laptop I'm installing to apparently isn't getting a response back
> from the tftp server after it gets the IP address.

The first place to look is in the logs of the PXE server. It is
possible that you have the firewall blocking tftp connections.

Because you say you have never done this before, I am going to ask
some dumb questions... Is there another DHCP server running on the
same network? (Does the PXE server have a static IP address, or does
it get its address from the network?) Have you rebooted the PXE
server sense running "service dhcpd start" and "service xinetd
start"? If so, they are no longer running. You can use chkconfig or
the services GUI to have them start at boot. Did both dhcpd and
xinetd start? If the service command dod not return OK, then there
is a problem. It is possible that xinetd is not installed on your
machine. You can check this by running "rpm -qf /usr/sbin/xinetd".

Mikkel