smbfs support broken in FC7?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Aug 16 23:33:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:10:48 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Using CIFS, linking mount.cifs to mount.smbfs, downloading several
> smbmount "replacements" which don't work, and other obvious things found
> in a few hours of search and swear testing. The error was
>   error 112 = host is down
> which I guess means "host wants to talk SMB not CIFS" in reality.

As near as I can figure the real problem is the new tools for
configuring the service. I had smb working perfectly back in
the FC5 days, but somewhere in there among the many upgrades,
I got the new CIFS stuff, and tried to configure it the same
way I had the old stuff configured. I could never get it to be
willing to talk to the windows boxes I had (and vice-versa).

At some point, I just copied my old FC5 /etc/samba/smb.conf
file (which was working), and after restarting the various
smb related services, everything was working again. Windows
was happy, smb printer sharing was happy, etc.

I don't know what the tools like swat are doing these days,
but I never got them to generate a working config no matter
what controls I poked.