about folder /var/lock/subsys

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 17 15:52:35 UTC 2007

ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> What is the purpose of this line "touch
> /var/lock/subsys/local" in rc.local file?
>
> and this folder /var/lock/subsys for?
>
> I also see some running programs under this folder
> /var/lock/subsys
>
> Thank you

It shows that rc.local has been run, and when. Most of the scripts
in /etc/rc.d/init.d (or /etc/init.d) create a lock file when the
service is started. You will also find files with the pid of the
running process in the /var/run tree. Lock files are also used to
indicate that something is using a port or resource. The interaction
of mgetty and minicom come to mind.

Mikkel