APC USB

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Aug 17 16:16:44 UTC 2007

Gavin David wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Gavin David wrote:
>>> HI Tony,
>>>
>>>  No, you don't need powerchute with apcupsd. Set up the scripts in
>>> /etc/apcupsd to send alerts/pages/emails for the different events.
>>> Then /etc/rc.d/init.d/apcupsd will provide the daemon when enabled
>>> and started.
>>>   There's another package apcupsd-cgi which will provide a nice web
>>> page where you can get graphics showing load/battery status/run
>>> time, etc. - but I don't know if it's available in the CentOS
>>> repositories (I'm currently running it on Fedora systems only).
>>>
>>>  Dave
>> I ran the apcupsd-cgi rpm from yum but don't know how to bring up the
>> display.
>>
>> What do I do next?
>>
>> I do have "gapcmon" displaying the UPS data but it is not complete
>> with the Belkin ups I have.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
>
> Bob,
>
>   I don't know if the Belkin unit will work with the software (it was
> written for APC devices), but if it does here's how you can see the
> status display in a browser:
>
> The apcupsd-cgi package will install a config file in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/apcupsd.conf, so you probably have to restart (or
> start) your web server - "service httpd restart". This should allow
> you to browse to http://127.0.0.1/apcupsd/multimon.cgi - or use
> whatever IP you have set on the machine. This should display some
> status for the UPS and you can click on the name of the ups (first
> column) and you'll get more detailed information along with three
> graphic scales which can display several different values selected
> from a drop-down list.
>
>  Dave

OK Dave, that works!  I had installed the apcupsd-cgi a few days ago but
did not know how to use it.  The display is prettier than "gapcmon," not
that that matters, but now I have another thing to mess with.  We had a
lot of t-storm activity last night and lost power for four or five
hours!  I got out of bed and shut several ups's down ...

The Belkin works with apcupsd but does not display a few things like
BCharge!  But it does shut down the computer if a power outage occurs
while I am away.

Thanks much.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia