APC UPS

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 17 16:47:26 UTC 2007

From: <tony.chamberlain at lemko.com>

> -Anyone use an APC Uinterruptible Power Source BK 350 with Linux?
> There is an RJ45-USB cable, but they say the USB cable will not work
> with Linux, and I need an RJ45 to Serial cable. Thw software that goes
> with
> it (PowerChute for Linux) asks which serial port you want to use it with
> so it
> must need a serial port.
>
> I am using CentOS and there is pl2303 and usbserial, but that doesn't seem
> to recognize
> the USB port I plugged the machine into. However, hwbrowser shows
>
> American Power Conversion Back-UPS Pro 500/1000/1500
>
> under system devices, when the USB port is connected.
>
> Any idea how to access it through a serial port? I can't find /dev/ttyUSB*

At the very least most cheap USB to serial will not work. They do not
implement the CTS/DTR sets of control lines, which is used for many of
the UPS's simple signaling. A dongle that explicitly implements those
signal lines should work. (I've had trouble with amateur radio remote
control with these half assed cheap adapters.)

{^_^}   Joanne