wireless suggstions

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:15:43 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Knute Johnson <knute at frazmtn.com> wrote:

> >On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 14:15 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> >> No SSIDs ever show up in the nm-applet menu.
> >
> >Obivous question:  Are the SSIDs being broadcast?  Some people set up
> >their gear not to broadcast them, *erroneously* believing that it's a
> >good thing to do, security-wise.
>
> Yes the SSID is on.
>
> --
> Knute Johnson
> Molon Labe...
>

> --

Sorry to barge in, but I wondered why is it "erroneous" to believe that
broadcasting
the SSID would lower the security of my wireless rig?
I know it is security through obscurity and I do not depend only on that to
keep my wifi
safe. Nevertheless, it is one more step for a would be attacker.

--
/\_/\
|O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com
~~~~ Javier Perez