New Computer

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 17 23:17:56 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 13:13 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Erich Zigler wrote:

>>> Why are you getting a new computer? What would the new one do that your
>>> current one does not do? How old is your current computer?
>>>

>>     My current computer I made 5 1/2 years ago. It was made before USB
>> 2.0 and Serial were invented. Now it has slow USB two replaced fans a
>> replaced power supply and has two old hard drives.
>>

> Looks like buying anew computer is a good idea but serial ports were
> invented more than 5-1/2 years ago. Just trivia.
>
>>     This new one lets me buy new hard drives of the fast 3.0 GB/sec
>> serial type and the cpu is twice as fast as this one. I don't really
>> need that. The box I buy has new fans and is half the size of my current
>> one.
>>

>> --
>>
>> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> 	Linux User
>> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>

> --
> Every silver lining has a cloud around it.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

Hi Aaron yes but if you wander into Wal Mart and look at their new home
and laptop computers you will see no serial ports. You can buy a USB to
serial device for $20 that works sort of. Mine will do most things but
not what I wanted.

    Thinking I will have in 3-7 days a new basic computer. I can put
this hard drive in it and not loose a thing after getting the video
problem sorted out. The motherboard video is of course different :-)

    I will put in the ram and DVD drive and set up the new computer with
slow ide hard drives and slow ram. After it all works again then I will
buy a pair of serial 250GB hard drives, use hardware RAID on the
motherboard :-)
These drives will be VERY FAST in/out and I will move this f7 to it in a
raid configuration.

    Then a lot of fast RAM when the price again drops.

Sounds a little old fashioned but that is me at 72 years old. I am
really not too sure I will outlast this computer 8-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User