F7 http and ftp installs

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Sat Aug 18 01:19:42 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Langdon Stevenson writes:
>
>> I have been attempting to perform an http install of Fedora 7 with no
>> luck.
>>
>> I start the installer from an F7 rescue CD and work through the
>> install process.  However regardless of which mirror I specify for the
>> download, the installer fails to download stage2.img and I can't proceed.
>>
>> The machine is getting an ip dynamically and can be pinged on the
>> network fine, so it seems unlikely that it is a network issue.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest how I might trouble shoot this issue?
>
> Do you have functioning DNS?

Yes.  I haven't had DNS problems with other machines that get a dynamic
IP on this network.

>> I have seen a couple of posts online from people with the same
>> problem, but never a solution.  Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Works for me. Did an http install on several boxes myself. The only
> thing I did differently is that I took the FC 7 DVD image, installed it
> on my network, and installed off that.

Ok, that is great to hear.  At least I know that it is possible.

When you say you: "took the FC 7 DVD image, installed it on my network"
what exactly do you mean?  Did you mount the iso?  Or unpack the file
structure into a web server?  Or something else again.

If you could give me a quick run down of the steps you used I would be
grateful.  The machine I am installing into has only a CD ROM and no IDE
controller, so installing from a DVD is not an option for me.

> I wouldn't really recommend doing what you're trying to do. It's going
> to take forever, unless you're lucky enough to have a fast, reliable,
> and nearby mirror.

It sounds like I don't have a mirror that fits that description :-(  So
a local install like yours sounds like the go.

Thanks for your assistance Sam.  Much appreciated.

Regards,
Langdon