Alternative booting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Aug 18 14:05:11 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I gave up on getting GRUB to behave consistently in my setup. I
> squarely blame GRUB for that as there is no reason not to work properly.
> Anyhow, what are the other reliable boot options other than a boot
> loader installed in MBR?
>
> I recall from the early Linux days boot floppies as well as booting
> from Windows was an option. Either way sucks, but is better than what
> I got now.
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.
>
> David

    Hi David, I this morning am having problems with Grub. But I think
the root cause of the problem is my computer's bios setting. Several
years ago I set everything up with all the hard drives using cable
select and it worked.

    Now I want to add a new hard drive and Grub has gone bonkers. I was
not able to get it done yet. But I think first I need to go back to
Master Slave which defines for grub which is hd0 and hd1. Right now it
switches and then the dumb thing can't boot.

    If I take the other hard drive clear out this hard drive immediately
becomes hd0 and grub is not working. It can't find hd1 :-)

    I think if I can get the bios to accept the hard drives set for
master and slave then they will not change if one is removed.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User