Alternative booting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:21:00 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>    There is nothing but Linux on this computer. That is not the
>>> problem. The problem is Grub on F7. It goes through the motions of
>>> setting itself up but fails!
>>
>> It doesn't fail - you just told it to install somewhere that your bios
>> isn't loading.  Normally what you want to do for alternate booting is
>> install grub in the boot sector of your first hard drive with /boot as
>> the 1st partition.  You can install alternate kernels and initrd
>> images there and set up a choice of which to load and which partition
>> to set up as root - or you can chain-load another boot loader in a
>> different partition.
>>
>    I'm sorry Les your still full of it. I just rebooted to FC6 and there
> I put the proper stage on my new hard drive and now it boots up for the
> first time without the old 30 GB hard drive. The Grub on F7 is bad and I
> will work with it a bit and then write a bug report on what is wrong.

If you'd post some actual error messages instead of yelling that the sky
is falling every time something goes wrong, someone else might know what
is happening.  Are you saying that the exact same install (setup) of
grub from an fc6 is now able to boot your fc7 from the same disk
location where the fc7 grub install failed or are you now booting a new
install of the kernel from a different location?  Did the first attempt
give you a grub> prompt or fail to boot anything at all?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com