Quota / Diskless Workstation?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Sat Aug 18 21:32:13 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/08/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:
> > So, am I to infer from the lack of alternatives, that the only way to
> > control the size of a directory is to create a filesystem of the size I
> want
> > to restrice things to?
> >

> For that very reason it is recommended that /var (and specifically
> /var/log) be on a seperate partition.
>
> File a bug with the software that left the huge logfile (MythTV?), to
> have an option that will not log all that was not necessary. A logfile
> that fills a file system is bad, probably worse than whatever caused
> the crash.

The big logs are caused by my own code -- I'm debugging something.  I just
want a way to limit the damage.  The diskless boxes use NFS for their
filesystems, which impacted the server -- which does matter.  Bugs on the
diskless boxes don't really matter -- I just press reset :)

So -- I guess I'll make a few filesystems. . . . perhaps it's time for me to
use LVM.

-Dave

Dotan Cohen

> http://lyricslist.com/