Alternative booting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Aug 18 22:25:24 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> BIOS sees them as one drive. A working F7 sees them as two drives
>>> and as
>>> one under the /mapper dir.
>>> I could see this to be a BIOS problem if nothing loads, but GRUB does
>>> load at least so far as that it gets to the grub> prompt. So it is not
>>> that BIOS is confused. It is purely a GRUB issue.
>>>
>> It could be a grub configuration issue. It could be that it is using
>> the wrong BIOS device number when it tries to load the files from
>> the grub directory. It would be interesting to see the contents of
>> /boot/grub/device.map and /boot/grub/grub.conf. It would be
>> interesting if the BIOS mapped the PATA devices 80 through 83, and
>> the SATA drives as 84 and 85. (I seam to remember some BIOS's that
>> did something like that is the past.) I would think that would make
>> the drive hd4 instead of hd0.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>

> Well possible, but for now I dumped the broken GRUB and made this box
> to  boot into XP only. I did not kill the F7 partition and may get
> back to it later. I just want to finally use my new system.
>
> I leave it at that as there seems to be no way to get an answer to my
> original question. :(
>
> David

    Hi David. It might be that the reason your grub stopped is because
of that new kernel you were yum update  getting. That kernel might have
stopped Grub from working. I suggest you load F7 again in a simple one
hard drive system. Then check out grub which the loader should have
installed right. Then you have both for at least a while.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User