Bios freaks

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 01:17:46 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I have heard about enough about what my 1994 bios might or might not
> be doing to Grub. I WAS surprised when the bios showed correct that I do
> have two hard drives, one a Master the other a Slave and both having
> 160GB written just like that in the bios. It is old but it is working
> fine. You want to blame the problems we are having on our bios.
>
>    My FC6 where grub still works fine is using the exact same bios! 8-)

It is the location on the disk where it has to load the kernel that may
be a problem for an old bios not the overall size. If you want to find
out for sure, create a /boot partition in the last 100 megs of your
drive and see if even fc6 can boot from there.  Otherwise it may just be
the random location where the kernel and initrd happened to land that
determines whether or it can be loaded when grub asks bios for those
sectors.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com