rpmbuild FAIL while packaging symlinks

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:25:25 UTC 2007

On 19/08/07, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> >> Throw out your ln command altogether.  Just place the .so in /usr/lib
> >> and run /sbin/ldconfig in %post.  It will make the symlinks according to
> >> the library soname.
> >
> > That is false advise, however, since you want to create all necessary
>
> "false advice" is a bit hard on something that was accurate and solves
> the problem in front of the poster.  I didn't think about link
> ownership, but that's less of a problem than no binaries out of your build.

It doesn't solve the problem. It only tries to work around it. Running
/sbin/ldconfig in %post and %postun is a MUST for packages which put
shared libraries into run-time linker's search path. And think about
it a bit more. If libmylib.so is put into /usr/lib and does not
contain a proper SONAME, ldconfig won't create any symlink like
libmylib.so.1. The result would be a poorly packaged rpm.