Alternative booting

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 19 13:45:29 UTC 2007

> I meant that more down the line of saving the hassle with two
> bootloaders on a dual-boot box. Not that the one does anything
> better/different/worse than the other. IMHO both are gosh darn stupid.
> All these isssues shouldn't even exist.

Yeah, but the problem is nothing to do with the bootloader. Its the *bios*
that cannot access past a certain part of the disk.

Also, the problem is only on older systems that cannot access below cylinder
1024 - Newer systems can. These older bioses come from the days when 8Gig
disks (roughly what the 1024 cylinder gives you) where considered so huge
that such a limit wasn't considered a problem.  Assumptions like this always
come back.

So this is problem *has* already been fixed. If you have a newer system you
are fine. If not, well you just have to but your /boot before the 1024
cylinder - no big deal.

Chris