Grub

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Sun Aug 19 14:49:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 05:02 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > [...]
> >

>     Hi Marko, your English is perfect. I just did something that was
> interesting but I do not understand why. Using Grub I put it in the MBR
> of the Slave hard drive (hd1) and removed the Master hard drive (hd0)
> and rebooted. The system booted with just one hard drive but it wrote
> this on the screen:
>
> Booting F7
>
> Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
>
> Press any key
>
>     I have no idea why this was printed but it does indicate some
> maximum has been exceeded in BIOS.

Sure you do, if you've been following any of the threads you started on
this topic.  It's what the "BIOS freaks" have been trying to tell you
all along...

>     I should get a bare bones new computer this week from TigerTronics
> which will have I hope a much newer BIOS that knows about 1 terribyte
> hard drives :-)
>
>     This might fix Grub.

It won't change grub at all.  But it will probably solve your
problem--not just because it "knows about" one-terabyte drives, but
because it can read past cylinder 1024 on them.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu