Grub

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 19 18:27:05 UTC 2007

From: "Karl Larsen" <k5di at zianet.com>
> jdow wrote:
>> From: "Karl Larsen" <k5di at zianet.com>
>>

>> I have taken the labeling one step further than I remember RedHat
>> taking before. I labeled the FC7 install with a "-7" at the end of
>> the label to make it distinguishable from the others. So I have
>> things like sda0 is labeled "/boot-7" and so forth.
>>
>> {^_^}   Joanne, also a ham.
>    Right this moment grub.conf and fstab have labels where they can be
> used. I like it fine but learned that if I use software RAID I can't use
> labels. So it depends what I do.

I've avoided software RAID completely, mostly for speed reasons. This
seems like another good reason to avoid it. That is good to know.

Out of curiosity have you tried the Rescue feature on the install DVD
or CDROMs? That at least might get you in so you could repair any
misfeatures. But you'd have to resize and move partitions around via
some other means. So if there's nothing precious on the system I'd
simply reinstall with a more sane disk layout. (A difficult experience
also makes me wary of the LVM feature, too.)

{o.o}    Joanne