F7 and wireless and broadcom -- looking for feedback

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 19 19:26:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Andy Green wrote:

> >> It might be worth noting that the instructions are for an unsecured
> >> network only.
> >>
> >> The generally accepted minimum security used on Wifi nowadays is
> >> WPA.
> >
> > i do actually mention that.  and i'm naturally assuming that, once the
>
> Sorry, I must have missed it.
>
> > interface is up and running unsecured, it's a simple matter to start
> > adding security on top of that.  but that's outside the scope of that
> > recipe.
>
> Well it's true that if you can't get the wireless device to work
> with an unencrypted AP it doesn't stand much chance with an
> encrypted one.  But an AP that has WEP or WPA enabled won't let you
> 'associate' at all unless you have the right encryption stuff sorted
> out, so it is not quite that you can somehow associate to an
> encrypted AP with your existing recipe and then sort out the
> encryption.
>
> FWIW I had good luck with wpa_supplicant whenever I used it, it's
> not to hard to set up either on the APs I tried it with.

ah, good point.  from what i see, system-config-network only lets me
configure the WEP key, is that right?  this means that i might have to
break down and recommend starting NetworkManager[Dispatcher] after
all, which allows WPA configuration.  or do the configuration manually
with "iwconfig".  or try wpa_supplicant, which i've never used but i'm
guessing it can't be that hard.

in any event, your point is well taken -- i clearly have to handle
a secured AP right from the beginning.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA