Alternative booting

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sun Aug 19 19:36:50 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
>> BIOS is not the problem as I was able to successfully boot several times
>> with the exact same BIOS without any problems.
>
> This proves nothing.
>
> The fact that you can boot a few times straight after a fresh install,
> *before* any updates only proves that during the initial install the contents
> of /boot are created at a point that 'just happens', through luck, to place
> them on disk at a position your bios can read.

OK, but isn't the only limit in regard to the BIOS the 1024 cylinder
limit? Someone pointed out that this is roughly 8G. Since I always
booted off a partition that was past the 30G mark it doesn't strike me
as if there is a BIOS issue....unless someone digs up yet another mark
that may play a role. So if it is a BIOS 1024 cylinder issue it ought to
have never worked.