Alternative booting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Aug 19 19:56:57 UTC 2007

David Krings wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> So, unless my list above is incomplete it doesn't really allow for much
>>> else other than GRUB/kernel or some mysterious force from above. So
>>> what
>>> is the next thing you tell me? Aliens abducted my system? ;)
>>
>> You can discount the kernel since, as far as I understand when you
>> have the problem all you get is
>>
>> grub>
>>
>> I.e. you have only got to the grub prompt - The kernel only comes
>> into play *after* grub, once grub has found the kernel you selected.
>>
>> The fact you don't get that far means grub is unable to find the
>> kernel you requested (or its own config file perhaps ?). This means
>> grub cannot read /boot for some reason.

>> - hardware
>> - BIOS
>> - GRUB
>> - user
>
> OK, I agree that the kernel isn't the issue here unless one of the
> updates installs a new kernel, but even then it is an installer issue,
> not a kernel issue.
>
> BIOS is not the problem as I was able to successfully boot several
> times with the exact same BIOS without any problems.
>
> Hardware is out as it did work before more than once and the hardware
> is perfectly fine.
>
> Leaves GRUB, updater, or user...since we cannot agree on either GRUB
> (which in its defense worked a few times!) or user (my setup worked
> fine several times in regards to booting) I add updater to the list
> and blame
> that one.
>

>> and from the details in this thread I cannot discount any of the
>> above (although personally I would consider GRUB the least likely)
>
> Well, I don't fault GRUB for not booting the OS when it gets fed wrong
> info. What I squarely blame GRUB for is that at the grub> prompt no
> reasonable means of recovery are available, at least not in my case.
    At the grub> prompt there is lots you can do. You can reload grub if
you want to. Lets say your /boot/ partition is /dev/sdb6 and you want to
put grub in the first hard drive which in grub talk is (hd0). Now
.dev/sdb6 is going to be (hd1,5) in grub talk.

    Now to load grub do this:

grub> root (hd1,5)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit