How to configure GRUB to boot from CD-ROM?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 19 23:39:18 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 09:25 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>> For example, if you have an image file called cd_boot.img in /boot,
>> and /boot is its own partition, something like:
>>
>> title CD_Boot
>> 	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>> 	chainload cd_boot.img
>>
>> You will probably have to play with it a bit, because this is off
>> the top of my head, and I am only on my second cup of coffee...
>
> How did you manage to get the CD to be hd0?

I didn't. The example shown chainloads a floppy image called
cd_boot.img that is on the hard drive in the /boot partition, and
the boot partition in the first partition on the drive.  But the
example had a minor mistake - it should be:

title CD_Boot
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainload /cd_boot.img

Then it works. There should be a way to do it directly...

Mikkel