FC7 cannot play sound on ACER TravelMate 6291-100512

Yunus yunus at cdl.co.id
Mon Aug 20 02:14:05 UTC 2007

>>> You should not need to reboot. After running depmod, you should be
>>> able to run "modprobe -r snd-card-0" and then "modprobe snd-card-0"
>>> to reload the module with the new options. I did a fair amount of
>>> that when trying to find the model that worked right with my Toshiba.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>
>> Thanks for the info Mikkel, and referenced in my notebook.
>>
>> Whether model=acer works for Yanus may be a bit hit and miss, but worth a
>> try.
>>
>> Nigel.

Hi Nigel & Mikkel,

I have downloaded ALSA driver from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/

After googling I found that I am not the only one that experience sound
problem on ACER TravelMate 6291. I am waiting for FC8 release to solve my
sound problem (and other problems). I might try to find some way to install
my newly downloaded ALSA driver (though it seems rather complicated for me).
Now I am focusing on finishing my Linux & C++ books.

But I am still curious when I tried to run:
#depmod -a                ---->OK
#modprobe -r snd-card-0   --->I got error message (see below)
FATAL: Module snd-hda-intel is in use
#modprobe snd-card-0  ---->OK

What should I do to avoid above error message.

Thanks
yunus