Bios freaks

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 20 08:44:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 18:52 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I have heard a thousand words a week about LVM and it never made the
> point that it moved /boot close to the near end of a hard drive.

I haven't heard about that happening.  It's always been my experience
that if you used the install routines to prep your drive, that it made
the /boot partition the first one.  I don't know if that's coincedental,
but it would be a good thing for it to deliberately do.  Other
partitions get shuffled about, though.  I don't know the reasoning
behind it (if there is any).

e.g. If you had created /boot/, /home/, /tmp/, /usr/, /var/, in that
order, you might find that at the end of your manual intervention, it
actually created the partitions in another order, albeit with /boot/
being the first partition.

Of course, thanks to how drives fake their number of heads and
cylinders, to accomodate how BIOSs (and IDE?) are still terribly poor at
handling large drives, there's still no guarentee that all of the first
partition is going to be where the BIOS can access it.

> I HATE LVM.

Me too, but for other reasons.  It's quite painful to try to recover
files from it if it screws up.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386