Moving boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 20 09:36:18 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 11:20 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I now have the /boot part of my whole system. But it would be easy
> to make a new partition of say 100 MB the first thing on the second hard
> drive. My question is what do I need to do so the new /boot works?

I did something similar with a dual-boot system:  Windows on the
original first drive, all by itself.  And Linux installed on an added
second drive, all by itself.

While setting up GRUB, you define its root (where /boot/ is) with a
"root (hd1,0)", then "setup (hd0)" which puts the bootloader onto the
first drive MBR, and quit out of the GRUB shell.

[root at bigblack ~]# grub
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
[root at bigblack ~]#

In this scenario, the computer boots, reads the MBR on my first drive,
which starts off GRUB from my second drive.

I believe that you can even set that up from within the GRUB start up
screen.  Just hit the right hot key to get into the command line.  You
can also do it from the rescue disc, so you can get a system working
that's not currently booting.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386