rpmbuild FAIL while packaging symlinks

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 20 12:55:47 UTC 2007

> Thanks Andy & Michael for lot of info.
> I have tried ldcofig stuff as well but no luck yet.

The only time rpmbuild has died with a segfault for me was when I was
packaging AVR32 libraries, and the internal dependency generator blew
chunks when looking through the AVR32 ELF.

I mention it because you seem to have taken some pretty unusual evasive
actions

%define __strip /bin/true

If strip was causing you trouble (due to a non buildhost arch somehow?)
then maybe the auto dep generation can do the same.  My segfault went
away by adding

%_use_internal_dependency_generator     0

to my ~/.rpmmacros

If that doesn't solve it, try running rpmbuild through strace, eg

strace rpmbuild -ba mylib.spec

and see what the last few things it touched were.

-Andy