iptables has amnesia :-)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Aug 20 20:36:57 UTC 2007

Don Russell wrote:
> Twice now, I've applied new rules using iptables -I... to accept
> specific traffic, and each time those rules "disappeared" a little while
> later...
>
> I don't see anything in "man iptables" like "... and don't you forget it!"
> (Of course maybe I missed it...)
>
> This is FC7.... using the cli iptables commands from root.... I also
> used webmin with the same effect.
>
> Why are the new rules not remembered?
>
> Thanks

If you are talking about the rules not surviving a reboot, try
running "service iptables save" and/or "service ip6tables save". If
you want the changes saved automatically, edit
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.conf and change
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="no" to  IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP="yes". Do
the same for /etc/sysconfig/ip6tables.conf.

Mikkel