F7 locking up on first boot

R A Jon Hamelin jon_hamelin at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 20 21:14:55 UTC 2007

I am trying to run F7 on an ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard with SIS 655FX
chipset. Installation goes OK, however when I reboot the system locks up
when trying to run First Boot. I sometimes receive an error message in
regard to ATA2 not initializing, sometimes the mouse and keyboard lock.
The only device attached to ATA2 is an LG HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H22N DVD
burner. My 2 hard drives are SATA.

I can access the OS via rescue mode on the DVD, can run X in chroot,
have checked the log files for Anaconda and can find no clue as to why
the system is locking up. It recognizes the DVD burner as ATA66, which
it is and confirms that it is on ATA2.

I had the same problem installing F7 86_64 on an ASUS P5B-VM DO with the
same model DVD Burner. I finally succeeded in installing on this mb by
not work for F7 i386, and the P4S800D-X, unfortunately.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?  I thought that the fact
that this drive uses UDMA-4 rather than UDMA-2 may have been the problem
, so I reset the drive in BIOS to use UDMA-2, also without success.

The puzzling part of this is that I can install and run  ubuntu with
absolutely  no problems, and I dual-boot into XP with no problems

I have been messing with this problem for over 2 weeks now and have not
found a resolution. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
as I would rather keep all of my setup in Fedora.

Thanks,

Jon

--
R A Jon Hamelin