Bios freaks

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 21 00:05:59 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> It's always been my experience that if you used the install routines
>> to prep your drive, that it made the /boot partition the first one.
>> I don't know if that's coincedental, but it would be a good thing for
>> it to deliberately do.  Other partitions get shuffled about, though.
>> I don't know the reasoning behind it (if there is any).
>>
>> e.g. If you had created /boot/, /home/, /tmp/, /usr/, /var/, in that
>> order, you might find that at the end of your manual intervention, it
>> actually created the partitions in another order, albeit with /boot/
>> being the first partition.

Les:
> The partitions never move once created.

I know that, they haven't actually been created yet (the disc is
untouched), this is all just the process of getting organised before it
does that.

When you make partitions using the thing provided by the Anaconda
install routing (is it still Disk Druid?), the order shuffles around.
It doesn't appear to be alphabetical, size-order, the order that you
enter in details, or anything readily apparent.

Note that all I'm entering is mount points and partition sizes, I'm not
specifying anything else.

> The data however moves each time it is written, because the operation
> sequence writes the new version to available space on the disk, then
> the old file is either moved to a backup version or deleted depending
> on the application, or application preferences the user has selected.
> When a file is modified, it is actually rewritten to the disk.  This
> is what causes it to move.

Now you appear to be talking about drive fragmentation, which is yet
another issue, and a new one to this thread.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.