Moving boot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 21 00:21:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:11 -0700, Peter Connolly wrote:
> I have a mental image of a group of people named Karl, Tim, Les et.
> al. who spend their entire day rebooting their machines over and
> over...  ;-)

Not if I can help it...   I've rebooted a few times to test things when
some people have brought up issues that have intrigued me, but this box
only gets turned on once a day, and off once a day.  Some of those tests
will end up waiting until the next day, because I just don't want to be
mucked around waiting for a machine to restart.

I try and avoid dual-boot, it's a right pain.  The Windows/Linux box
hasn't been used for months, I don't think I've any need for Windows
now, other than to read some old proprietary data, or ancient e-mails.
And even that isn't enough to make me put up with its antics.

The server never gets turned off, but its uptime keeps on getting ruined
by mains problems, recently.  It's up to almost 26 days, now.  I think
the longest I've managed has been a bit over 60 days.  I've thought
about a UPS, but I don't think I could really be bothered.  Unlike
Windows, the server hasn't seemed to have fouled itself up by losing
power.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386