F7 locking up on first boot

R A Jon Hamelin jon_hamelin at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 21 02:47:34 UTC 2007

> FWIW (not much I'm afraid) I had a similar problem with F7 on an ASUS
> mb with an ,er,unusual drive configuration (2 additional PIDE
> controllers in addition to the one on the motherboard, everything
> full). I couldn't solve it and reverted to FC5 on that box (6 is a
> disaster here, although I understand others have no trouble with it).
> Here's the really strange part - a different box, exact same MB,
> controller, and drive configuration, F7 installed painlessly.  I
> dunno.
>
> Mike-
>

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:14:55 -0700, you wrote:
>

>> >I am trying to run F7 on an ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard with SIS 655FX
>> >chipset. Installation goes OK, however when I reboot the system locks up
>> >when trying to run First Boot. I sometimes receive an error message in
>> >regard to ATA2 not initializing, sometimes the mouse and keyboard lock.
>> >The only device attached to ATA2 is an LG HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GSA-H22N DVD
>> >burner. My 2 hard drives are SATA.
>> >
>> >I can access the OS via rescue mode on the DVD, can run X in chroot,
>> >have checked the log files for Anaconda and can find no clue as to why
>> >the system is locking up. It recognizes the DVD burner as ATA66, which
>> >it is and confirms that it is on ATA2.
>> >
>> >I had the same problem installing F7 86_64 on an ASUS P5B-VM DO with the
>> >same model DVD Burner. I finally succeeded in installing on this mb by
>> >not work for F7 i386, and the P4S800D-X, unfortunately.
>> >
>> >Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?  I thought that the fact
>> >that this drive uses UDMA-4 rather than UDMA-2 may have been the problem
>> >, so I reset the drive in BIOS to use UDMA-2, also without success.
>> >
>> >The puzzling part of this is that I can install and run  ubuntu with
>> >absolutely  no problems, and I dual-boot into XP with no problems
>> >
>> >I have been messing with this problem for over 2 weeks now and have not
>> >found a resolution. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
>> >as I would rather keep all of my setup in Fedora.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Jon
>> >
>> >--
>> >R A Jon Hamelin
>> >Hamelin Graphics
>> >324-1985 Wallace St
>> >Vancouver, BC V6R 4H4
>> >
>> >778 327 9302
>>
> --
> If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
> --
> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces,
> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,

On the P5B-VM DO, the problems came down to the JMicron JMB363
controller. As the  floppy and PATA drives are run under this
controller, I switched to a SATA DVD burner and disabled  the JMicron
controller completely, using the ICH8DO controller exclusively. Voila,
no more problems. I only wish the P4S800D-X problems were that simple.

As a last resort on the P4S800D-X, I pulled the DVD burner, and did a
network install. Once again, everything went well until I got to the
First Boot screen and then everything locked up again.

Thanks,

Jon

--
R A Jon Hamelin